Hi there! Happy Tuesday! I’m back with round two of sweetpotato week!
As I mentioned yesterday, this week I am participating in a California sweetpotatoes: “One Word, Endless Possibilities” Recipe ReDux Challenge sponsored by the California Sweetpotato Council.
Disclosure: I received free samples of California sweetpotatoes mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Sweetpotato Council and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
What’s the difference in the sweetpotatoes (spelled as one word) versus the other sweet potatoes and white potatoes? Quite a bit! California sweetpotatoes are an entirely different vegetable. “They are grown in soft sand and are hand sorted during harvest to minimize scarring and scratching. The result is a visually, higher quality sweet potato.” according to the California Sweetpotato Council.
Yesterday, I shared a delicious dinner side dish (or lunch or snack!). If you haven’t checked them out yet, give these Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes a try! Today, we are talking something entirely different: cookies!
Now before you judge these cookies all because of their name, remember what your mom taught you many moons ago: “Never judge a book by it’s cover,” and never judge a cookie by it’s name.
Animal products and gluten are the only this missing from this tasty recipe. And if you needed another reason to fall in love with these cookies: it’s completely safe to lick the bowl once you are finished making the cookies! No salmonella scares here!
Gluten-free Vegan Sweetpotato Cookies
Makes 15 cookies
- 1.5 cups oat flour (I just blended 1.5 cups of old fashioned oats until a fine flour was reached)
- 1 tbsp flax meal
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Stevia in the Raw (or omit and just use 1/2 cup of granulated sugar)
- 3/4 cup cooked California sweetpotato
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips (vegan if using vegan chocolate chips)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup craisins
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, flax meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, ground ginger, and salt. Stir until evenly combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil, vanilla and sugars.
- Pour the coconut oil mixture into the flour mixture and then add the sweetpotato. Stir until evenly combined and moisture is spread throughout.
- Add in the dark chocolate chips, pecans and craisins.
- Using a spoon, drop cookie batter on a well sprayed cookie sheet, making ~15 cookies.
- Lick bowl. 🙂
- Cook for ~10 minutes or to desired consistency, serve and enjoy!
A healthier cookie recipe packed full of vitamin A, vitamin C, whole grains, healthy fiber, and good fat! Who would want to turn these delicious cookies down!? Not me!
Have a great day!