A.B.C, Alternative Baking Company, sells amazing, dairy free, cookies that only contains honest ingredients such as, unbleached, whole-wheat flour. You can find this company at Planet Smoothie and Whole Foods (these I know), so the past few times we’ve gone into Planet Smoothie, the Peanut Butter Persuasion Cookie has stared me in eye. I decided to give it a try only if Dustin would split it with me… man am I happy I did! It was delicious! Since most of the good smoothies contain dairy and a million calories, this will now be my go to treat at PS.
At about $3 for a large cookie, I decided to make my own dairy free cookies here at home. I made them smaller, therefore less caloric In the past, every time I try to ‘bake healthily’ it always fails. Cookies, pies, cakes, etc. with no sugar are also no good! But this morning, I finally found a recipe that made a delicious Craisn, Banana-Oat Cookie! I can’t wait for Dustin to try them when he gets home today! Here is the recipe if you want to try it out… These would be a perfect breakfast to-go for those of you on the run since they are full of protein, fiber, and complex carbs.
Diary Free Cookies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 cup chunky natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup pure honey or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1/4 scoop natural, vanilla protein powder (ours is dairy free)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup craisins
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Lightly coat two cookie sheets w/ PAM.
- In a large bowl, stir together mashed banana, PB, honey, and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine oats, flour, protein powder, cinnamon, and baking soda.
- Stir the oat mixture into the banana mixture.
- Add craisins.
- Drop dough 3 inches apart on cookie sheet. Dip a spoon into cold water and press cookies to form about 2 inch cookies, or really any size you want.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, for about 9-11 minutes, or until browned. Allow to cool on wire racks.
I made 18 cookies and after crunching the numbers I figured out that each cookie contains about 130 calories. Not bad for an occasional ‘indulgence!’