Good morning and happy Memorial Day! I hope your weekend was wonderful and that the fun continues today! We had an awesome weekend out on the lake with family and friends and after a nine hour drive have arrived to a new beachside destination!
Today and everyday, I am so thankful for all of the men and women that fought and continue to fight for our freedom. Freedom to open a Bible if we chose to; freedom to publicly worship Jesus Christ; freedom to talk about and share our opinions, beliefs, and stories; freedom to feel safe in our homes; freedom to travel, explore, and wonder; and also the freedom to love and be loved. We live in an incredible country and because of the bravery of these men and women, we are able to do all of these things.
Thank you in particular to a man close to my family’s heart, a long time friend, Tyler Bell, who will be coming home soon! We thank you for your service and pray for your safety in the days ahead.
And if your looking for a healthy addition to your Memorial Day BBQ spread, try these Grilled Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms – easy and delicious! (This photo is courtesy of the awesome spread that my in-laws prepared for my birthday a few weeks ago.)
Grilled Veggie and Quinoa Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms
Recipe adapted from here
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, wiped with a damp paper towel and stalk trimmed
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 4 – 6 sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- large handful of spinach
- pinch of dried oregano, crushed between your fingers
- dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Rub each mushroom with a bit of olive oil and place them on a tray/plate, stalk side up.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions.
- In a sauté pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and the onions. Sauté for 3 or 4 minutes, then add the zucchini and continue to cook as the zucchini begins to soften. Next add the red pepper and tomatoes. Cook for another few minutes. When the onions have become translucent and soft, add the garlic. Cook for one minute and add the spinach.
- Once the spinach wilts, remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining ingredients.
- Next, add the veggie mixture to the quinoa and stir to combine.
- Stuff each mushroom with a quarter of the mixture.
- Place the mushrooms on the grill over medium high heat. Cook for about ten minutes or until mushrooms are tender and enjoy!
I hope you all have an awesome day! Eat some good – but healthy! – food. I’m off to workout and then am going to spend the day on the beach! What are you thankful for today?