Crunch Berry Pancakes
This morning for breakfast I wanted to mix things up a little and try something different. Since we hadn’t had pancakes in FOREVER I wanted to try a new recipe that I found and tweaked a little and made my own! It was too good not to share so I’ve listed it below. Let me tell you first, if you are a white bread, junk food lover, you will not like these… they are very nutty and ‘wheaty’ tasting. Some might say they are “too healthy” tasting, but they were right up our alley!
- 1 ½ cups Total 0% Fage Greek Yogurt
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 ¼ cup King Arthur 100% Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ½ cup Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin Sprouted Whole Grain Cereal (recipe called for granola but I think most granolas have too much sugar and fat, another surprising factoid)
- 2 cups strawberries (any berry; raspberries, blueberries, or a mixture)
- ½ tablespoon EVOO or Canola Oil
- 1 tablespoon Chunky, All Natural Peanut Butter
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1 cup water
- 1 packet Truvia
- Agave Nectar or Honey (for syrup)
- 1 banana (optional)
1. Heat large nonstick pan over medium heat.
2. Mix together yogurt, egg, egg whites, vanilla, and water until smooth.
3. Add in baking soda and salt.
4. Slowly mix in flour until just blended.
5. Stir in ½ cup of the cereal, berries, peanut butter, and EVOO.
6. Drop ¼ cupfuls of batter onto the pan and sprinkle about ½ tablespoon of cereal and a pinchful of Truvia on top of each pancake.
7. Cook until top of pancake starts to bubble, ab. 2 min, flip and cook for about 1 more minute on opposite side.
8. Serve w/ bananas sliced on top and a drizzle of agave nectar or honey.
After doing the math, the calorie count for each cake is about 95 calories with 5 grams of protein each, not to mention plenty of fiber because of the flax, cereal, whole wheat flour, and berries! Definitely a go-to, protein packed breakfast! Let me know if you try them!